You should definitely give record mats a go !

Here Members can share any Hints & Tips (Please note they are NOT responsible for any damage or loss that may happen if these hits /Tips are followed - you MUST use your own Judgement)

You should definitely give record mats a go !

Postby MissMySwiss » 20 Oct 2016, 13:52

This idea went through my mind already when I read people (at least the so-called "experts") used rubber or cork mats on their gramophones in some book edited by Mr Seymour, but then forgot it till recently when I decided to read a bit more about record mats. Having already tested rubber mats with not so good results (dull sound), I searched some info on cork, and saw very good reviews about how it broadens the sound spectrum and cleans the sound by absorbing motor rumble. And that is VERY true !

I made a 2mm cork out of some isolation sheets sold in DIY stores (Who would pay 20 GBP for a mat on ebay ?) and that works grand ! You still get a crystal clear sound with both steel and fibre, and also deeper bass. all that along with much less ground noise ! You'll also hear more details that were hidden by rumble or chatter, amazing !

This I highly recommend if you've got time on your hands to try making your own mat(s) and give them a go ! +++
MissMySwiss

Re: You should definitely give record mats a go !

Postby Gmemg » 20 Oct 2016, 22:26

Do you just cut a circle out of Cork and put it on the turntable and then the record on it ?
What others say of me :

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein
Gmemg
Site Admin & Head of School

Postby MissMySwiss » 21 Oct 2016, 08:27

Yup ! With a centre hole cut as well haha.
MissMySwiss

Postby Gmemg » 21 Oct 2016, 17:19

I have some cork tiles left over from re - flooring a tenants Bathroom will they do ? - i shall do a test of this it seems just too simple (and it's not April )
What others say of me :

Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

Gmemg

Postby MissMySwiss » 21 Oct 2016, 21:39

Well, as long as they're clean and 100% cork why not. What is their thickness ?
MissMySwiss

Postby Gmemg » 22 Oct 2016, 20:51

i've just checked and the ones i have are 3.2 MM so i shall give one a try to - morrow and see what happens !
What others say of me :

Gmemg

Postby MissMySwiss » 22 Oct 2016, 21:08

Gmemg wrote:i've just checked and the ones i have are 3.2 MM so i shall give one a try to - morrow and see what happens !

Just take care it isn't too thick so that the record still will be held by the turntable shaft ! ^^
MissMySwiss

Postby Gmemg » 23 Oct 2016, 11:33

Well, after extensive testing i find that .................

YES there is an increase in Bass and , with a few records tested volume as well !

I can't explain it but from what i and a couple of independent observes can tell that's what's happening - all most odd but true - any ideas why this happens ?
What others say of me :

Gmemg

Postby MissMySwiss » 23 Oct 2016, 13:43

Probably because the record is held more firmly, thus allowing the needlebar to catch more details/information instead of being restrained by the slight lateral sliding the record might still make while held less firmly on plain felt.

The damping of the motor rumble helps as well if you consider the rumble makes the needle rumble a bit as well. It might clean the sound. That's only theory and deduction, but seems legit to me ^^
MissMySwiss

Postby rgodridge » 23 Oct 2016, 14:34

I'd be interested to try this, where might I get one?
rgodridge

Postby Gmemg » 23 Oct 2016, 15:48

The one i used is just a Cork floor tile - they used to do Place mats of Cork as well
What others say of me :

Gmemg

Postby MissMySwiss » 23 Oct 2016, 16:16

rgodridge wrote:I'd be interested to try this, where might I get one?

You can buy some but they're ridiculously overpriced most of the time. They might be more dense though.
MissMySwiss

Postby Gmemg » 29 Oct 2016, 18:11

Here's something which came with a gramophone - it's a "Beltona Non Slip mat" and was recommended in the 20's by , i think, Captain Barnett as making quite a difference to sound quality - sadly this one has, like a lot of rubber gramophone fittings deteriorated and needs to be roughened up a little with some fine sandpaper

they were sold as accessories at the time and not just with Beltona Gramophones

i shall be giving this a try soon
What others say of me :

Gmemg

Postby MissMySwiss » 29 Oct 2016, 20:50

Wow impressive you can still find some original ones !
MissMySwiss

Postby simo » 30 Oct 2016, 08:00

Gmemg wrote:Here's something which came with a gramophone - it's a "Beltona Non Slip mat" and was recommended in the 20's by , i think, Captain Barnett as making quite a difference to sound quality - sadly this one has, like a lot of rubber gramophone fittings deteriorated and needs to be roughened up a little with some fine sandpaper

they were sold as accessories at the time and not just with Beltona Gramophones

i shall be giving this a try soon

i have just checked my beltona floor standing model and,yes it has the same mat.it came with the gramophone when i bought it a few years back.for a small floor standing model it does play rather well.
simo

Postby Gmemg » 30 Oct 2016, 22:15

I've just been reading Captain Barnetts book of Gramophonic tips and he uses a rubber mat instead of a Velvet one and here's why :

I do find it all hard to believe BUT he says it and he certainly knew what he was talking about
What others say of me :

Gmemg

Postby simo » 31 Oct 2016, 06:31

Gmemg wrote:I've just been reading Captain Barnetts book of Gramophonic tips and he uses a rubber mat instead of a Velvet one and here's why :

I do find it all hard to believe BUT he says it and he certainly knew what he was talking about

what an interesting article....,lead to increase the flywheel effect,so simple and you can actually understand it working.thanks for posting
simo

Postby Gmemg » 31 Oct 2016, 07:16

It's so true - the heavier the turntable the more the flywheel effect, when you consider earlier motors such as the G & T or the Swiss ones Pre Great War they all have very heavy turntables and they must contribute to the smooth running of the motor and the sound of records used

it comes from "Up to Date Gramophone Tips" by Capt H T Barnett M.I.E.E (1925) a really worthwhile booklet , some of his ideas are so simple , for instance :

"Auto Stops"

There is now no need for these troublesome complications, ALL record makes provide a running groove at the end of the recorded portion of the record"

Which is amazing - i had never considered that , i thought they were there to stop the record and conserve the power of the motor , which, i suppose was the function on later machines after the run out groove made an autostop redundant for it's original function

Sadly he also appears somewhat mad : "The Listening Post"

" Those who have machines with large wooden horn will be surprised tat the distances with which they can hear distant sounds by placing the ear to the small end of the horn , especially if a sugar loaf paper funnel be used between the ear and the horn and the large end of the horn pressed against a floor or wall "

It's obvious he experimented - but wouldn't he be called either " a Nosy Neighbour" or even some kind of pervert for doing such things !
What others say of me :

Gmemg

Postby simo » 01 Nov 2016, 06:38

i think 1925 must have been a great time for the inquisitive mind to experiment and not accept the "norm".
simo

Postby Gmemg » 02 Nov 2016, 07:45

That's how it all started - amateurs experimented and got the best results they could and made shrewd observations which are as true today as they were then
The trouble with most modern gramophone collectors is that they DON'T experiment and accept the "proudie" view that every machine MUST be as shown in a catalogue with precisely the equipment it had and should remain that way - it makes for a very boring time for those collectors !
What others say of me :

Gmemg

Return to Hints & Tips