Auto -Coupled Pathe Grand Opera records

Auto -Coupled Pathe Grand Opera records

Postby Gmemg » 30 Nov 2014, 21:00

Some may think that Auto - coupled record sets only emerged with the Auto - changing gramophone - but no, I recently bought a number of machines and lots of records in a collection amongst which were a large number of 14" Pathe disques, and amongst those were most, if not all of the Pathe Grand opera sets recorded 1911 - 1913

It isn't mentioned in the catalogues but these sets were available in Auto - coupled for for use on a special double - turntable Pathe machine, these sets must be rare but the machiens must be rarer - the idea being that as one record ends the next side can be started and if done well the music is seamless ! it was an idea well ahead of the technology and thus wasn't repeated for nearly 20 years

Here are some such records the 1913 "Romeo et Juliette" Set :

side 1 is backed by side 3 and side 2 by side 4

and here's the machine they were designed for :

and here's a U -t ube recording i made earlier - it's sides 9/10 Juliette's Waltz aria where i have to change disques half way through and it's not seamless !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNVonRIWjsU
What others say of me :

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein
Gmemg
Site Admin & Head of School

Return to Grand Opera