Complete Hit-of-the- Week archive

sites of interest & "people who Know" that can be recommended by members

Complete Hit-of-the- Week archive

Postby syncopeter » 21 Nov 2013, 22:32

Some time ago I came across this site, but I've never listened to it.
Just tonight, having nothing better to do, I decided to give it a better look.
It does contain all issued HoW discs and is a nice portrait of most of the hit numbers between 1930 and 1932. Well worth listening to.
It also has the sides that the Duke Ellington orchestra made for HoW, which are real collectors' items.

Here's the hyperlink:

https://archive.org/details/CompleteHit ... s1930-1932

Peter.
syncopeter

Re: Complete Hit-of-the- Week archive

Postby Gmemg » 22 Nov 2013, 11:27

Very interesting, A great archive, those records aren't common here but seem to be well worth having
What others say of me :

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein
Gmemg
Site Admin & Head of School

Postby syncopeter » 23 Nov 2013, 13:39

The only Durium discs you tend to find in the UK are the ones by the 'Durium Dance Band', which is either Arthur Lally's band with Sam Browne or Lew Stone with Al Bowlly. All are well worth looking for, since they were beautifully recorded and offer different arrangements than the ones on the 'ordinary' labels.
HoW records are easy to find in Holland and Belgium, because for some reason after HoW folded in 1932 the remaining stock of HoW discs was dumped here. They cost only NLG 0.25, while records on the big labels cost at least NLG 1.50. I used to have at least 60 of them. The big problem is that the thin cardboard back tends to shink over the years, causing the disc to warp quite badly. I solved that problem by inverting a heavy earthenware mug and putting that on the label.
syncopeter

Postby syncopeter » 23 Nov 2013, 14:18

I'm continuing to listen to the archive and having lots of fun. My toes keep tapping and my fingers drumming. There are so many great songs here with surprisingly hot solos. I recognise a lot of the very best American musicians: the Dorsey Brothers, Eddy Lang, Carl Kress, Joe Venuti, Stan King on drums, Dick Robertson, you just name them and they are on several records. Superb!
syncopeter

Postby simo » 23 Nov 2013, 15:13

syncopeter wrote:Some time ago I came across this site, but I've never listened to it.
Just tonight, having nothing better to do, I decided to give it a better look.
It does contain all issued HoW discs and is a nice portrait of most of the hit numbers between 1930 and 1932. Well worth listening to.
It also has the sides that the Duke Ellington orchestra made for HoW, which are real collectors' items.

Here's the hyperlink:

https://archive.org/details/CompleteHit ... s1930-1932

Peter.

great site,good tunes,thanks for posting the link.
simo

Postby syncopeter » 24 Nov 2013, 12:04

Simo,

It is even better. If you go one level up, there is a wealth of rare 78s, most of them restored better than many commercial CD's.
We amateurs, in the true sense of the word, have one thing that commercial record companies don't have: time. We can easily spend a whole evening restoring just one track to get the best possible result. My dear friend Chris Ellis was responsible for EMI's World Record Series. He had just 8 hours of studio time to transfer, restore and master 20 songs. When you listen to those Lp's the results are amazing, especially given the time frame in which he and one technician had to do it. I can restore 3 to 5 songs a day, depending on the quality of the original. A good copy takes me at least an hour, a worn one may take the whole day. And then I'm using the very latest version of a superb sound restoration program, that even with the settings at their highest level doesn't create any digital artifacts (the infamous 'ringing' that you hear in so many Youtube uploads).

Peter.
syncopeter

Postby simo » 24 Nov 2013, 12:36

it's obviously very time consuming,and to me it sounds a very complicated process but, WOW when you here these old recordings "cleaned" up,they are an absolute joy to listen to.
simo

Postby rgodridge » 24 Nov 2013, 17:16

Archiophone records have commercially released all this stuff, I don't have the cds so can not talk of their sound quality but I will be downloading this archive tonight. Thanks for pointing it out, Peter.

also hae you seen this?
http://popularjazzarchive.blogspot.com
rgodridge

Postby estott » 27 Nov 2013, 20:46

These might be stolen from the Archaeophone discs.
estott

Postby Gmemg » 28 Nov 2013, 21:51

Normally i wouldn't be able to comment on this as i haven't either heard or bought those Cds BUT i visited a friend this evening who has a set and we compared them and to me they did sound rather similar !

I, as most know have a U - Tube channel and upload all sorts of things but try to avoid anything which might be commercially issued - not only because it's already out there but i only do this for fun and certainly don't want to "compete" with anyone trying to do it to make money

I like to put the sort of stuff on U - Tube that wouldn't be commercially viable or isn't available in any other form but might be of interest to the small band of others who like the oddities & small circulation recordings which were issued on 78rpm I have no wish to compete with anyone just to share what i personally enjoy.

I do feel that copyright holders should have rights but for recordings over 80 years old where the original performers are long dead then why shouldn't it be in the public domain - i feel the same way about films & even TV shows in particular which were originally designed to be ephemeral and maybe only broadcast once - and if BBC then why can't we watch them - we've paid for them !

however it's not right to nick transfers that someone has taken time & trouble to create and which are still commercially available and make them Public - it's not right.
What others say of me :

Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

Gmemg

Postby estott » 29 Nov 2013, 00:15

You said it - although these discs are public domain Archaeophone went to a lot of effort to transfer them, especially with some rare ones with damage. This sort of thing happens quite often in the old film community- someone will go to a huge amount of effort to restore a film- and another person will shout PUBLIC DOMAIN and post it to YouTube - where everyone will download it because a lousy free copy beats an expensive quality copy .......at least that is how it seems.
estott

Postby Gmemg » 29 Nov 2013, 17:14

I think it's now part of the culture - "young" people don't want a physical object any more and as you rightly say won't pay but will accept a "lousy" Copy if it's free !

the odd thing is that i know many people who've bought gigantic Televisions then complain about the quality of programmes !

but the fact remains that if someone has gone to a lot of trouble to provide an excellently transferred copy of a Film or a record they should have some financial reward, i know many who do it just for fun or to provide something of quality for the enjoyment of others and probably not for the money but nonetheless they deserve something.for their trouble or they'd be better off stacking shelves in tesco - at least there's a Pension in that !
What others say of me :

Gmemg

Postby rgodridge » 30 Nov 2013, 00:30

I respect archiophone very highly. Their 2 cds of the 1890s are listene to by me regularly as are their ragtime cds and I've had my eye on the year book cds and a lot o their catalog for a while.

However I think the hit of the week cs are fairly recent and that the archive files were actually a lot older, I could be wrong and probably am.

Seaking as a young person, be it with bias I do download music, other people's transfers etc and while I feel bad for doing it it is only like going into a cd shop putting headphones on and listening to it. if I really like it, I'l buy it. I downloaded a lot of the jazz oracle cds and enjoyed them so much I bought them, but that might be because I do value a hard copy much more than a set of mp3 files.

Before I went on holiday last I ripped a lot of cds to put on my mp3 player, didn't mean i went and ot rid of cds though.
and with the hit of the week recordings, as with most well done cds there are very good notes and things you wouldn't get in a download.

I havn't shared much music in a while due to my internet having problems and not having the time to do it but it is something I seriously enjoy doing. Not in a hey look what i have! manner, but because I like to at least imagine that these recordings I share will be enjoyed by someone who doesnt' have a copy/can't find a copy, and I know that a lot of non-78 collectors look at the listen to the gramophone blog as a sort of a vertual gramophone, which is exactly what I meant it for.
rgodridge

Postby Gmemg » 30 Nov 2013, 09:55

Your Point about the notes is most important - so many "Cheap" Cd re - issues I've bought have nothing but the recording (sometimes some tracks re - recorded at the wrong speed !) and just a track listing - not even recording dates!

Now, i and i'm sure your, can guess when these things were recorded originally but that's not the point - i don't want rows and rows of Matrix Numbers and boring financial information (you can join the Geriatric Gramophone Society for that !)about the company which made the original recording but some information and a brief Biography of the artist which doesn't seem a lot to ask

The very Best of the cheap CD re - issues strike a Happy balance with some notes and decent recordings and are perfectly adequate to play in the car whist the "full Price" ones with copious notes and the VERY BEST transfers are for use with a decent "stereo system" (I don't know the modern term for such an object !)

Ican perfectly understand anyone wanting to make CD copies - and why not ? i rarely buy a CD if it has only one track of interest and to be honest i probably haven't played more than a few dozen of my 5,000 CD collection for years and then only for the odd track i can't find online ! i would make CD's myself if i knew how to do it or could be bothered or had the time !

PS: i don;t know the "cds of the 1890's" - What are they ?
What others say of me :

Gmemg

Postby rgodridge » 01 Dec 2013, 10:14

I am one of those who collect cs of music that interest me, so cds of jazz dance bans early recordings etc and find that the nicest ones are oten those that were made by a private company or individual, I am always looking out for them because the music is often painfully rare and can be very good indeed.
There was, maybe still is a cd reissue company called mellotonethat put out a cd by Geoffrey Goodhart, i'd never heard of him before (he was a dance band leader) but I got the cd and the music is really wonderful hot dance music from just before the electric era.
I also have got quite a few cds from symposium (thanks colonel for the tip) of rare opera recordings. I know next to nothing about the singers but I do enoy listening to it and know a good from a bad performance etc.

the cds of the 1890s are fantastic, a very good overview of the popular recordings of the time. Here are the links.
volume 1
http://www.archeophone.com/product_info ... ucts_id=31
volume 2
http://www.archeophone.comwww.archeopho ... ucts_id=33
rgodridge

Postby Gmemg » 02 Dec 2013, 11:11

It's an odd fact that Cds are often produced in numbers smaller than those of the original records ! you mention the excellent Symposium Records - they produced the "Harold Wayne" re - issues, i failed to buy a copy of Volume 7 when it came out and had to wait for nearly 8 years to find a copy second hand ! i haven't made the same mistake again

I admire Symposium and also Marston CDs as they are the very best of their kind - they are sadly let down by the fact (also true of Book Publishing) that they spend years assembling & re - recording records for a re - issue only for someone else - sometimes both to offer an almost identical CD at the same time as happened with the Victor Maurel & Fernando De Lucia issues

Symposium only made one mistake that i can recall - on Vol 1 of "opera on the 4 min Cylinder" the Peter Dawson recording was far too slow - but that's all i can recall

Nimbus Cds are abysmal and i recall them ALWAYS in the "reduced" bin at Blackwells Music Shop in Holywell St Oxford (in the last Century!) and the psined expression on Raymond's face if i bought one !

Nimbus (due to poor advice from "amateurs" and the usual "old Farts" ) used a horn far too large (was it really just for Publicity ?) , with fibre needles, an inadequate soundbox with a microphone far too close to the horn (as the sound wouldn't project) and then used several copies of the records which were then "edited" together producing a noise which sounds like the singers were singing in the Bath ! buy a nimbus Cd and compare with either s Symposium or Marston CD and hear the real difference for yourselves

As i & a Group of real experts have found recently with a large Expert Horn (46") you need a soundbox with real "punch", Steel Needles and a loud record for the sound to project beyond the horn - it seems "exponential Theory" has it's limits beyond which the sound cannot be either improved or amplified without electrical help - in the end a mini speaker mounted on a soundbox body with CDs of Caruso played through an Amp with the Volume turned up made the horn work - but that's not really the point and can only assume that the horn used was either a one - off or part of a very small number made - and possibly exchanged for something that actually worked
What others say of me :

Gmemg

Postby rgodridge » 04 Dec 2013, 19:45

I have one nimbus prima voce cd and I didn't actually mind it, infact I enjoyed it but the reverb gets to be a bit much.

There was a chap called Robert Parker who did 20s jazz in digital stereo, I personally think they are great but it really is up to the individual.

The mastering on the earlier mentioned cds of cylinders, by the way, is very close to the original as in they were not noise reduced, thank heavens! it's worth getting both those cds for some of the very dramatic or very rushed announcements.
rgodridge

Return to Recommended Sites & People