A General welcome & the RULES

Postby JPClydesdale » 11 Dec 2015, 17:01

I just want to say Hello to the membership here, i'm Jim and although i only have an Expert Junior Gramophone (1931) which i inherited some years ago and enjoy playing records upon , i have enjoyed EMGColonel's Youtube Channel for some years. and following the link i was delighted to find this forum

I have been very pleased to be able to hear the last Broadcast by Rob Godridge and then the recordings of the others available and look forward to many more.

Thanks to EMGcolonel for allowing me to participate here
JPClydesdale

Re: New Member

Postby rgodridge » 11 Dec 2015, 18:16

Hi Jim, hope you enjoy the forum as well!
Can I ask, who did you inherit your gramophone from, and what kinds of records were with it? I love to hear the history behind these things. Look forward to hearing more from you as it's great to have new members.
rgodridge

Postby HMV130 » 11 Dec 2015, 18:50

Hello Jim, welcome to the forum. Hope you will have a pleasant stay here.
I wish I could have started this "collecting experience" with an EMG or Expert machine like your! :lol: :(
HMV130

Postby Gmemg » 11 Dec 2015, 20:55

Yes, Welcome to this forum - we're a friendly place and although some may say we are rather quiet here we do try and help people where we can and everyone is very free with their knowledge

Thanks for joining
What others say of me :

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein
Gmemg
Site Admin & Head of School

Postby simo » 12 Dec 2015, 07:40

welcome jim,wish i" only" had an expert junior.we are only a small membership but every one friendly and helpful.
simo

Postby TheAustralianComrade » 12 Dec 2015, 08:46

Welcome jim,
It's always nice to see new face on the forum.

Maverick
TheAustralianComrade

Postby JPClydesdale » 12 Dec 2015, 09:50

Rgodridge asks : "from where did i obtain my Expert Junior Gramophone" i didn't buy it new but Inherited it from an Elderly Cousin of My Mother's who was Vicar of a Rural Parish in Devonshire, he had bought it New in 1931 from Mr E M Ginn . Cousin Henry then obtained new records by Parcel and had to cycle 4 miles to the nearest Railway station every month to collect the Box

The machine is spring wound as the Vicarage had no electricity even in 1974 when i went to collect this machine.

The Machine & the records have given me many hundreds of Hours of delight although i am somewhat surprised that there are others about as i assumed until fairly recently that this was the only machine of it's kind
JPClydesdale

Postby simo » 12 Dec 2015, 11:54

thats a nice story jim,it's always nice to have a bit of history with the machine.i have a couple of gramophones myself that i bought and elderly sellers have told me they can remember their father playing it when they were children.in those examples i put a simple handwritten piece of paper in the case documenting it's story of who owned it and where it was bought........unfortunately too many gramophones don't have a story and are bought and sold on numerous occasions.
simo

Postby Gmemg » 12 Dec 2015, 12:55

How very interesting - i always assumed that all Expert machines were electric especially the Junior as the handle on most gramophones emerges from the right hand side of the case but with the expert Junior the plumbing for the tonearm would be in the way

Would you mind showing us a picture so we can see how they solved this - it's especially interesting as a machine which is untouched and has had only had two owners is unusual
What others say of me :

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein
Gmemg
Site Admin & Head of School

Return to Welcome to the Forum