Unusual Large Motor No 2 Thorens T 120

Investigating the diverse numbers of motors used in Gramophones

Unusual Large Motor No 2 Thorens T 120

Postby Gmemg » 17 Mar 2017, 12:37

The title of this motor makes it sound like some kind of tank and really it is some kind of Massive Mechanical monster !

This motor lives in quite a Grand Cabinet gramophone of unknown make made C 1914 i suppose - it's High Quality Cabinet work includes drawers for records - an Unusual thing in itself for those days and good quality but just off the shelf Swiss fittings

The first picture shows the Motor compared with the standard Swiss 2 spring motor of the same period - in fact the one more or less copied by Garrard for their Garrard no 1 / 1a range in that it has a casting for the top and a metal plate for the bottom - you can usually spot these motors when taking a turntable off by the fact that the Bottom RH motor bolt is offset and that's what i thought i had here when i fist saw it - the motorboard this is fitted to is hinged to show off the motor and presumably that's why it's nickel Plated

Here are the Motors side by Side - the Thorens is massive again double sprung but 1 3/4" wide and a much larger barrel

Here they are again showing how large the thorens is (approx 5" high and 8" long ) BUT the fact is that it's more or less identical to the smaller Swiss motor

Underneath - showing the much larger spring barrel and also the almost identical construction

What others say of me :

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein
Gmemg
Site Admin & Head of School

Return to Motors