14" Fonotipia, Odeon, Victor & Columbia Discs

For anything other than 10" or 12"

14" Fonotipia, Odeon, Victor & Columbia Discs

Postby Gmemg » 14 Jul 2015, 14:46

This afternoon whilst looking for something else at "the Preceptory" i tripped over a crate - after doing this once more i decided to see what was in it ! i found my 14" records - no not the Pathe's but he Fonotipias, Doean, Columbias and Victor De Luxe so was delighted !

alas my notes on dates for these were NOT in the case with the records so i shall add those dates soon

Here are the records set out on the lawn

And from the Getty Collection :

another

Also from the Getty Collection - apparently only one of 50 to survive (apparently)

A 14" Odeon - a possibly unique survival, the fist issued in 1906 No : 72000 "Zampa Overture" and possible the only issue ?

Fonotipia 69004

Fonotipia 69010

Fonotipia 69019

What others say of me :

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein
Gmemg
Site Admin & Head of School

Re: 14" Fonotipia, Odeon, Victor & Columbia Discs

Postby rgodridge » 14 Jul 2015, 16:38

what could these be played on, especially the victor? I can't imagine the victor/hmv crew deciding to make a machine just for them!
rgodridge

Re: 14" Fonotipia, Odeon, Victor & Columbia Discs

Postby Gmemg » 14 Jul 2015, 21:06

most Early gramophones would have been able to play them - certainly Victor /G & T machines with backbrackets (I'm not sure about the earlier travelling arm version) - i often wonder if the backbrackets are such a generous sweep to actually accommodate these records which were very short lived as they are a LOT more fragile than the usual ones and were rather more expensive as well

oddly Pathe were the only ones to actually produce 14" records for a long time and their records are relatively common whereas the Victors , Columbias, Odeon & Fonotipias are very rare

EMGs & Expert Gramophones are built to accommodate the "new" 16" records which were advertised in the 1930 Gramophone magazine as "coming Soon" as it turned out they were never commercially released and ended up being used as transcription discs - that's why EMG & Expert tonearms are so long - to accommodate the records rather than for any acoustic reason
What others say of me :

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein
Gmemg
Site Admin & Head of School

Return to Records of Unusual Size