Ebay Expert Junior missing motor and turntable

For all the Above

Ebay Expert Junior missing motor and turntable

Postby simo » 29 Mar 2017, 18:13

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272596731737? ... EBIDX%3AIT
am i missing something here? sold for £3650 without motor, turntable and a cheap soundbox
simo

Re: missing motor and turntable

Postby Gmemg » 29 Mar 2017, 19:22

I must admit to being somewhat surprised to see the price achieved, i had been watching that and have had correspondence with others about it but none of us could have dreamed of that price ! especially as you state it has :

NO motor,

NO Expert or EMG soundbox of any kind

i can only hope that the buyer KNOWS they won't get the Garrard 301 actually photographed in the machine - that made £740 on it's own - not outrageous really for one of those , i've sold one in the last 2 months for FAR more than that and finding a suitable period electric motor won't cost a fortune (approx £100) or be that hard to find and a bit of Period plywood for a motorboard can be found in most general sales of most Auctions "donated" by a wardrobe or something cheap ! BUT a 2 spring Expert Soundbox WILL cost approx £350 -£500 and on top of THAT price + collection costs it's a MAD price !

I own several Expert Juniors at the moment and several larger models of EMG and Expert (ALL with Motors & Soundboxes) and one thing's for certain I shall be asking a LOT more for them than i had been considering !

I do wonder how the machine with the 301 in it would have actually worked - those turntables are very high and the clearance between it and the tonearm must be slim and thus the soundbox would have to be at a rather steep angle to be used effectively but i am assured that this isn't a unique combination and they do work

It also shows that you don;t need Proudie or SAS to get a decent price - in fact stuff at SAS begins to look rather cheap (ringed ?) even with their comm rates !
What others say of me :

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein
Gmemg
Site Admin & Head of School

Re: Ebay Expert Junior missing motor and turntable

Postby gerryb » 30 Mar 2017, 19:50

why did it make so much money if there are no bits in it ?
gerryb

Postby Gmemg » 31 Mar 2017, 19:20

That's without Doubt one of the Great Philosophical question !

Why DO some things make more tin Auction than others ? well there may well me a Million Answers to that and they could ALL be wrong - i think the simplest answer is that Two people wanted it more than others and one of those wanted to pay more than the other and on any other day of the week it could have made a LOT less and had the underbidder wanted it a bit more it would have made more

I suppose that Pricing of anything it's all a matter of Opinion and Guesswork, I KNOW what "the Preceptory" cost me in Inheritance tax as i actually paid it BUT that was a number of years ago and last year i was offered a considerable sum for the place - was that offer the "Market value" or just what someone or some organisation wanted to pay ? might they have been negotiated to a much higher figure had i actually wanted (or needed) to sell ? i don't know

I've bought , kept and sold a LOT of things privately and in Auction in the last 10 years which i never thought i would own or even to have had a chance to buy at any price so were those items cheap when i bought them or were they the "market Price" at the time i bid and the profits i made were they the market price then ? YES they were !

Could i have got more ?

Well, that's the eternal question for anyone selling anything BUT i always believe that :

"A Bird in the Hand is worth Two in the Bush"

and have ALWAYS taken the first decent profit on any item and said thank you as well !

and THAT must be the only Criterion
What others say of me :

Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

Gmemg

Postby donjohnson24 » 01 Apr 2017, 14:01

Well, Colonel, here's a tale to do with prices and values that might restore one's faith in people's fairness.

I had an item on sale on Ebay - under their 'sell for a £1' offer - which I started at £1,000.
In the last moments, the bidding jumped in £20 and £50 increments to about £1,250, then leapt in one go to £2,250 right at the end.

Just when I was rubbing my hands with glee, the message came from the frantic top bidder, saying he had accidentally omitted the decimal point in his last bid (which I assume should have been £1,300, but came out as £130,000) winning at a price beyond his means. It was obviously a genuine mistake, and he was so apologetic, that we agreed to cancel the auction.

I looked at the bidding history, then got in touch with the underbidder, to explain the situation and ask if he were still interested - in which case I would offer the item to him at a price of £1,300, since it would not be fair to expect him to go up to his maximum. He advised that he WOULD like the item, but would pay £1,500 as he thought that was more reasonable. I was grateful for this, but even more so when he called to collect the item, saying that as he had been prepared to go to £2,200, and that as I had been more than fair in my offer to him, he was actually paying me £2,000 !! (He added that if I had attempted to get the full £2,200, he would not have bought the item!)

Perhaps the moral of this story is that if you treat people fairly, they will do the same for you!

PS - Just to confirm that E-bay did not miss out on their 10% in this case.
donjohnson24

Postby Gmemg » 01 Apr 2017, 18:56

That's a very interesting story but not unique in my experience - however it could have had VERY different outcomes - i have also had people contact me JUST before aBig money item ends to say that they've put in the "Wrong Amount" and would i cancel bids - I have removed their bid and all's well BUT i know of others who have done the same only to have had hassle from the former underbidder now the winner bidder who won't pay up and having re - listed their object they got a LOT less than the first time it's listed !

I do have a LOT of faith in Human Nature and the fundamental decency of most people and try to keep an open mind about most situations and despite being at the wrong end of pettiness or stupidity occasionally i try not to let those experiences colour my reaction to any future potential problem

It may surprise people but i have on occasion offered more money for items or a collection than the vendor wanted - one lot was a collection of operatic records (then worth FAR more than now) i asked how much he wanted , bought the lot and paid Cash then when sorting realised that some of those records were worth each as much as i had paid for the lot - so sent a cheque for many times the initial amount with a letter explaining that i had sold them for more than i expected and here was a fair offer - had i offered more when buying the owner would have just said no and offer'd them to everyone in the business and probably got lESS in the end than his initial amount

In another similar case i did the same thing only to have my cheque returned with a letter explaining that:

"You gave me the amount i wanted, didn't haggle and since we were both content at the time i consider the matter closed - if you are happpier with your purchase and have made more money from these items all i can say is that it's your good fortune and you have my best wishes"

I felt terrible and consulted a friend who advised that i make a donation of the extra amount to charity and "Get on with your life" so i gave that amount to Children in need and did feel better - it sounds sanctimonious but that's what happened

There are some very odd people in the world - very few are nasty, mean, suspicious , out to get the last farthing for rubbish - they DO exist but most people will respond with Fairness if they are treated so - also known as "the Golden Rule" it can be found in Luke Book 6 Vs 31 :

"“Do to others as you would have them do to you.”

I can honestly say that in all my years as a "dealer" and collector i have had my BEST bargains by far in Auction and not because of any ring or other arrangement and i think the same may apply to many others
What others say of me :

Gmemg

Return to Seymour/EMG/Expert/Bond cascade