"Six English towns" How a documentary SHOULD be made

For discussions of any Books/ Film & TV programmes related to the subject or not

"Six English towns" How a documentary SHOULD be made

Postby Gmemg » 06 Feb 2015, 10:36

I was delighted to find to - day on the U - Tube this wonderful series of Documentaries, i should say these as it's successors "Six more English Towns, the Return and Six English Towns - The Towns strike back " are also available

These are a real delight, and show HOW a documentary SHOULD be made, it also shows how lamentable the CLPGS programme on recently was ! everything with this is RIGHT, the RIGHT Music, the RIGHT Presenter , The RIGHT Subject and simply made - as Alec Clifton - Taylor says " It's an exercise in Observation"

Here a REAL expert (As opposed to CLPGS "Pseuds" ) discusses his subject in plain terms, and Alec Clifton - Taylor is the REAL thing, an EXPERT who KNOWS his subject, a little quirky "aaaaaannnnnndddd" but well informed and a delight - how unlike Pseuds and intellectual Pigmies such as Proudie and "The EMG Guru" ! His clothes are those of a University Don and NOT some sort of CLPGS Poseur don with a red tie and check shirt !

These documentaries are Informative, accurate and instructive, i can say with complete honesty NO TV programme has influenced me more than these, all i know of Architecture (Both Great & Small) comes from these programmes which i watched when broadcast (Yes I AM that old) it would be instructive if modern Architects or "designers" could see these, not only would they see that an Architect should Dress properly (Mine at the Preceptory actually wore Jeans and trainers when he first visited - he didn't make THAT mistake again !)

I urge all to watch these as they are the best of their kind - nothing since comes anywhere near not even the programmes by Dan Cruickshank (Crazy name Crazy W bro)

Here's the first, Chichester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDEd_10_3yI
What others say of me :

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein
Gmemg
Site Admin & Head of School

Re: "Six English towns" How a documentary SHOULD be made

Postby Gmemg » 07 Feb 2015, 23:57

I feel i must show you this episode about Lewes in Sussex, I know and Love this town and visit an ex - Girlfriend & her family there frequently at their Gracious residence but at the time i first saw this programme i had not visited the place

Do YOU know what a "mathematical Tile" might be ? would you know how to spot one or a house faced with them ? (They were made until 1960) let Alec Clifton - Taylor tell you - and hilariously actually demonstrate their use - luckily he didn't give up his day job as he got more lime putty on the tile than on the wall !

There is a great deal of gentle humour to these programmes and luckily unlike some "historians" he could laugh at himself and to see him perched on a high wall like Humpty - Dumpty is a huge joke in which he joins and later when he describes ladies sitting in Bow windows heis face as he lurches out of view is a joy !

alas he misses a point - "Castle Place" has Ammonite Capitals to the pilasters for a good reason NOT associated with the Architect, it was the home of Dr Gideon Mantell who identified the first fossil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpWkSN99DAI
What others say of me :

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein
Gmemg
Site Admin & Head of School

Return to The Book/Film/ TV Club