"Parson's Pleasure" Tales of the Unexpected

For discussions of any Books/ Film & TV programmes related to the subject or not

"Parson's Pleasure" Tales of the Unexpected

Postby Gmemg » 05 Apr 2015, 14:26

"Tales of the Unexpected" was an ITV series beginning in the early 1970's which was based on stories written by Roald Dahl, they usually start in a fairly innocent way but lead to a rather unexpected and sometimes rather shocking or unpleasant denouement - one "the Landlady" so frightened me that i am VERY careful when visiting Collections for sale and am always wary of visiting people i don;t know !

This is one of my all - time favourite bits of Television - it's a great story written by Dahl when he lived not far from "the Squire" in Oxfordshire , it tells the story of Cyril Winnington Boggis (The Name Boggis comes from a Witney Shop "Cooke & Boggis" ) Antiques dealer who amazes the "trade" with his magnificent stock "all acquired from Private sources" which is quite true he dresses up as a Parson and pretends to be buying for the Victoria & Albert Museum ! and buys very well indeed - in the 1970's "knockers" as they were called were fairly common knocking at private houses and buying all sorts from the owners i knew several and they were a breed unto themselves and since i haven't seen or heard of one for many years they must have died out

he finds some wonderful things but excels himself when he finds s "Chippendale Commode" at a run down farm (The Squire tells me he could name those characters in real life and knew many farms just like that in the past)

Alas in his efforts to obtain the "commode" Rev Boggis makes two mistakes first he tells the farmer "I only want it for the legs" then wanders to a phone box to boast of his luck ...................

https://youtu.be/6Vs-X6-PZzw

another episode has had a profound effect on me - it's called "Galloping Foxley" and concerns a meeting in a Railway Carriage between a former Public School boy now middle aged & another middle aged man who , when a boy tormented him at school - the former tells the whole carriage how he was bullied .................the "twist" is amusing but has made me extra careful since !

https://youtu.be/zpqM_NdJGm0
What others say of me :

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein
Gmemg
Site Admin & Head of School

Re: "Parson's Pleasure" Tales of the Unexpected

Postby rgodridge » 05 Apr 2015, 19:11

I'm going to enjoy watching these I think.
I've mentioned before that a lot of my records early on were got by knocking and I did meet some rather strange people! most were pleasant enough though especially because they were curious what a kid wanted with this stuff, and this was in the 90s, early 2000s and I still had luck.
rgodridge

Postby Gmemg » 05 Apr 2015, 22:45

I enjoyed them - i do think you're brave going out and knocking on doors for records - i wouldn't !
What others say of me :

Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

Gmemg

Postby rgodridge » 06 Apr 2015, 07:40

Well what I originally did was just that, going out and asking the owners of older houses if they had any old records, pointing out that
a: you'd buy them
and b: you'd tape them if they didn't want to sell them
usually seems to help, but later on I just had it printed on a bit of paper and posted it through with my number on there, that was as the area got a bit, well, rougher lol
maybe after i've watched these I won't want to do it as much! though nower days it is pretty much pointless.
rgodridge

Postby Gmemg » 06 Apr 2015, 21:25

I think it's a good idea but as you also say it probably wouldn't work now as the generation who had 78s have now gone and people don;t tend to have unsearched sheds or cellars !
What others say of me :

Gmemg

Return to The Book/Film/ TV Club