Raffles - Radio 4 extra

For discussions of any Books/ Film & TV programmes related to the subject or not

Raffles - Radio 4 extra

Postby Gmemg » 29 Sep 2014, 20:06

I don;t suppose "Raffles" is quite as well known to - day amongst a modern readership as he was even 20 (odd) years ago when BBC Radio 4 dramatised the stories.

I got home this evening from appraising a fine collection of Gramophones, Phonographs and records and was delighted to find the series repeated on Radio 4 Extra - i've always liked the Raffles stories as I had read them much earlier having had the benefit of a Grandparent's Edwardian Library and was delighted that the radio series stuck very closely to them - they have an interesting History as the Author E W Hornung was Brother in Law to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and the stories rather mirror the more famous Creation ! The character of Raffles - the Gentleman Burglar is based on, and this is not a Joke, Oscar Wilde whilst "bunny" his assistant is based on Lord Alfred "Bosie" Douglas who were both close friends of Hornung and Conan Doyle !

The first of the series - broadcast this week is here - "Bunny" is now better known as "oliver" from "the Archers" ! (If you're fol enough to listen to that Tosh now ))

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p0twv
What others say of me :

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein
Gmemg
Site Admin & Head of School

Re: Raffles - Radio 4 extra

Postby rgodridge » 30 Sep 2014, 06:40

I bumped into these by accident on 4 extra last year having not ever heard of them, they really made me laugh.

You must have quite a few local collectors around where you are unless you do a lot of travelling around of corse. I hope it went well.
rgodridge

Return to The Book/Film/ TV Club