fascinating interview with the late christopher hogwood

For discussions of any Books/ Film & TV programmes related to the subject or not

fascinating interview with the late christopher hogwood

Postby rgodridge » 20 Oct 2014, 12:25

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I find some of his views very interesting indeed.

One of my favorite records of early music at the moment is a recently bought copy of hogwood playing keyboard music on authentic instruments (that's the title of the album) I recommend this record to anyone interested in this stuff, but anyway here's the interview.
http://www.hogwood.org/archive/intervie ... -1984.html
rgodridge

Re: fascinating interview with the late christopher hogwood

Postby Gmemg » 20 Oct 2014, 20:55

Very interesting - he was certainly a big figure in "authentic" music circles, trying to get away from the BIG orchestra versions of Classical music back to something more , well, "authentic"

I wonder if the music thus achieved really is that "authentic" as they play all the right notes and at the right tempo and i wonder if that was possible at the time ?
we'll never know but it's a lot more authentic than the often harsh tones of the Big Orchestral Concert -hall sound using modern instruments with a much larger sound than would have been needed in a typically delicate 18th C Salon or the Music room of some great house or Palace
What others say of me :

Estott : "An Ancient Half - Mad Uncle "

My U - Tube Channel is : http://www.youtube.com/user/EMGColonel

Corruption in the CLPGS :
The Seven Social Sins are:
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character .Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle.

Money. Greed. Naivety. Falsehoods. Exploitation. Welcome to the wonderful world of gramophones!

"He has as much comedic talent as the Straight man on a Linguaphone record "
Si vis pacem, para bellum Der Morgige Tag Ist Mein
Gmemg
Site Admin & Head of School

Return to The Book/Film/ TV Club